I have so enjoyed the conversations we've had over the past few weeks. Even though you have been ill (and I have been really concerned about you Sam and sincerely hope you are well on the road to recovery and good health, however long it takes you to get  there) we seem to have had many 'voice-mail' conversations.

The Ishiguro- Moss interview was quite special. What erudite people these writers are and how humble Ishiguro seems wanting to connect with Kate Moss and ask her about her writing process too. I equally enjoyed the Pinter Nobel speech and of course Antonia Fraser's little snippets. I am in awe of these great authors and can quite understand the fascination between Pinter and Fraser.

I particularly loved the thought that Ishiguro put out that we all leave a writing imprint through our lives. That set me thinking about my own reading life and how it changes and convolutes as I change. I too have returned to many of my 'old favourite' books during this time in-between the new and exciting writers we have discovered or simply found time to read. Re-discovering Pinter and Antonia Fraser (who my mother read at one time) has been a deep nostalgic find and now that I am reading about Boadicea again I am transported back to the times my father and I talked books. My mother and I also talked books but of a different genre. Daphne Du Maurier's My Cousin Rachel and Rebecca come to mind. Did I ever tell you that my friend Zara grew up in a home just like the de Winter's? She showed me photographs of her childhood home and I immediately felt I had visited the area. Quite uncanny!

I look forward to connecting (perhaps) this week at Sanskrit and then writing if you are up to it? Sanskrit starts again in September and perhaps we could meet once a week for 15minutes to go through the alphabet? I am writing it column by column daily which is very soothing but a challenge. Gillian dropped off some nibs which I am willing to share if we ever get together. I will test the one I give you as the have been cut and not properly honed. I will also give you a holder and some ink if you fell you want to tackle it. Otherwise I can arrange for you to get one through the 'leader of our friendly cult'. Her husband cuts nibs for students? Shaeffer fountain pens which are infinitely easier to use. 



Thank you for all the beautiful books you've sent me. I'm reading Susan Hill's Howard's Ends on the Landing now after so enjoying Dear Reader by Rentzenbrink. I have to confess that I peeped into The Year of Reading by Andy Miller and it makes me smile with his quirky writing.

So Sam, in the thoughts of Ishiguro, which books linger and call you to re-visit them? 








Comments