The Beginning of Our Journey


 Hello Sam

This is exciting! Like you I enjoy writing letters. These days  I tend to do this 'online' but the act of picking up a pen and simply writing on paper (lined or not) is a wonderful ritual. 

I love beautiful journaling books. An embossed cover or even a simple leather one is a preference and of course the pens you buy me from PNA are such a treat with the different colour inks which add a little pizazz to the page. The only thing about those pens is that once the ink is used they have passed their sell buy date and I almost feel I need a small ceremony to bury them in the garden to thank them for the time spent in my hand assisting me in my scrawls.

The past few weeks of doing the writing course with Natalie has been fascinating. As you know I've done some wonderful courses with Dorian who re-enforced the positives in my wavering belief in my own writing. Then there was that exciting time I had with Brian Walter and three other writers (two priest and a poet, Dorian). It was one of the most creative times I shared with a few people. We were in the Hogsback, which itself is a magical place. We walked the labyrinth. Laughed, created and played with words for a few days - AND I skipped home with a priest (Cahal) giggling all the way. Now I would probably stagger home with a priest, but it is a good memory.

Here is the poem I wrote about that:

Return

The solitude of the walk home
resounds more than the rumble of the labyrinth

My foot trips 
as I tread the dusty road
a turned pebble sneaks into my shoe, 
niggles and tumbles like words and thoughts.

I recall the eagle shadow on the spiral path
how it swooped low as it hovered.
Cicadas buzz in the forest
as phrases see-saw through my mind.

Steps echo mine.
An Irish lilt calls.

I turn and embrace a smile.
Clasp a friendship.

We discuss nuns and lyrics.

In Hogsback, down a rustic road,
I skip home with a priest.

What I also took away from that time, was the constant flow of writing with prompts we given. I also remember the silences as we sat outside and scribbled in journals of all sizes and colours. A truly wonderful experience.

I feel that our conversations over the years have sparked many creative moments. And here's to many more.
Till next time. A-M

Coffee & Writing


Comments