So Sam, talking about the Tracy Chevalier book set in Winchester - I loved the gentle story telling incorporating bell ringing, needlepoint and Latin. It also touches on the plight of the women who lost brothers and lovers during WW1 and women who set off to be independent and true to themselves. Violet certainly found her path, didn't she? The Latin scholar near the end, added our school motto: per angusta ad augusta: Through difficulties to honours really clinched the deal for me.  Because through alll her trials and tribulations she did overcome and find her way.


What I don't understand between all the bell ringing and embroidery, why she didn't mention the Winchester Bible? It is a Romanesque bible written and produced in Winchester between 1150 and 1175. I received special permission from the bishop when I was there to view this incredible artefact. It is written in the Latin of St Jerome and was handwritten on 468 sheets of calf-skin parchment by one scribe. Which amounted to about 250 calves. The bible was bound in two volumes. Some of the illuminated letters have been removed and at least one full page illustration has been removed entirely. It seems even then there were unscrupulous collectors.


But what a wonderful story the creation of it would make. Look forward to reading more about that time again. 

Anyway, I'm still writing to Henry Hartley who at the moment is giving me a headache. But again, we must always remember the times in which he lived and what was excepted of men at the time and women too I suppose. The widow of Thomas Hartley ran the Pig and Whistle very successfully and it was known as Widow Hartley's Inn. She is still meant to wander around the rooms from time to time. 

Anyway I look forward to seeing you tonight. 

Comments